Skip to content
- Northern Illinois University – MFA 2009
- Michigan State University – B.A. Theatre 1982
- Rockford College – attended 1977-1979
- 2012 Rockford Midwestern Biennial, Rockford Art Museum, Rockford, IL
- 2012 8th International Fiber Biennial, Snyderman-Works Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
- 2012 “Acts of Recognition”, Kendall College of Art and Design, Grand Rapids, MI
- 2011 “Fiberart International 2010 (tour)”, Memorial Art Gallery, Rochester, NY “Art Scene”, Group Exhibition
- 2010 Rockford Midwestern Biennial, Rockford Art Museum, Rockford, IL
- 2010 “Fiberart International 2010 (tour)”, Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA Jurors: Mary Ruth Smith, Vibeke Riiseberg, Rebecca Stevens, Excellence In Needlework Award
- 2009 “Uncommon Threads”, Group Exhibition, Walsh Gallery, Seton Hall University, S. Orange, NJ
- 2009 “Second Stories”, Group Exhibition, Zola Lieberman Gallery, Chicago, IL
- 2009 “5th Annual National Self –Portrait Exhibition”, 33 Collective Gallery, Chicago, IL
- 2009 “Departures”, NIU MFA Group Exhibition, Chicago Arts District, Chicago, IL
- 2009 Ars Nova Show, Jack Olsen Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL Juror: Shannon Stratton, Three Walls Gallery, People’s Choice Award
- 2009 “…it is what it is”, MFA Solo Exhibition, Gallery 214, DeKalb, IL
- 2008 “Fringe”, Bad Dog Gallery, Group Exhibition, DeKalb, IL
- 2008 “Threadbenders”, Group Exhibition, Gallery 214, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL
- 2007 “Technicalities” The Illinois State Committee of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Gage Gallery of Roosevelt University, Chicago, IL.
- 2007 Graduate Group Exhibition, Jack Olsen Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL Juror: Tim Lowley. Awarded 2nd Place.
- 2007 “…and I am blue…” Invitational, McLean County Arts Center, Bloomington, IL
- 2007 Emerging Illinois Artists Exhibition, McLean County Arts Center, Bloomington, IL Juror: Bob Sill, Assistant Director of Art, Illinois State Museum, Springfield, IL
- 2007 Graduate Group Exhibition, Jack Olsen Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL Juror: Adelheid Mers, Associate Professor, School of the Art Institute, Chicago, IL
- 2007 Ars Nova Show, Jack Olsen Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL Juror: Cam Choy, Associate Professor, Univeristy of Wisconsin-Lacrosse
- 2007 “Conception”, Pleasant Street Gallery, Northern Illinois Univeristy, DeKalb, IL
- 2006 “Verbal”, Bad Dog Gallery, Solo Exhibition, DeKalb, IL
- 2006 Ars Nova Show, Jack Olsen Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL Juror: Roger Shimamura, Professor Emeritus, University of Kansas at Lawrence
- 2006 Graduate Group Exhibition, Jack Olsen Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL
- 2005 Graduate Group Show, Pleasant Street Gallery, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL
- Rock Valley College – 2007 to present
Adjunct Faculty, Instructor of Record
- Art 101 Drawing and Composition I – study of fundamental techniques and concepts of representational and expressive drawing.
- Art 102 Drawing and Composition II – a continuation of Art 101 with greater emphasis on skill in handling materials, exploration of technique, organization of composition.
- Art 103 Design I – study of basic artistic expression in two-dimensional design. Studio problems investigate the theoretical principles of composition, form, value, color, balance, pattern and texture.
- Art 203 Design II – study of three-dimensional design. Sculptural works are constructed in a variety of media to explore problems of volume and space relationships. Lecture and Studio.
- Art 131 Intro to Visual Art-study of aesthetic concepts and their expression in the great art of all periods through the means of lecture, audio-visual aids, and museum visits.
- Theatre 138 Costuming—exploration of costume history, construction and design.
- Costume Designer, 1986 – present, for over 120 productions for Starlight Theatre, Studio Theatre and Shakespeare Festival – Teach a variety of skills including sewing, stitching, dyeing, fabric painting, knitting, beading, stage-makeup to traditional and non-traditional students. Responsible for overseeing three full time seamstresses and four student workers per semester.
- Northern Illinois University – 2005 to present
Visiting Professor, Instructor of Record
- Arts 372 Surface Design, Spring 2011
- Arts 470, 670, 770 Advanced Fiber Studio, Spring 2011
- Arts 368, Papermaking, Fall 2011
- Arts 374, 3d Forms in Fiber, Fall 2011
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Instructor of Record
- Arts 372 Surface Design, Summer 2008
- Arts 102, Two Dimensional Design, 2007 – 2008
- Arts 103, Three Dimensional Design, Spring 2008
- Graduate Assistant, NIU Fiber Program Classes (Professor Christine LoFaso):Assisted with technical demonstrations, classroom preparation, set-up and equipment maintenance and worked individually with undergraduate art majors.
- Arts 372 Surface Design – exploration of surface techniques including printing, dyeing, shibori, devoré, and other methods to alter/transform the two dimensional surface
- Arts 371 Weaving – exploration of tapestry and four harness loom weaving including plainweave, twills, doubleweave, brocades, warp painting and ikat dyeing.
- Arts 374 3-D Forms in Fiber – exploration of three-dimensional form in the fiber tradition, including techniques of coiling, wrapping and crochet with particular focus on site-specific installation work.
- 2011 Mr. X Stitch.com “Future Heirlooms”, Joetta Maue, http://www.mrxstitch.com/2011/03/04/future-heirlooms-kathie-webb/
- 2010 Fiberart International, Exhibition Catalogue
- 2010 Embroidery Magazine, July/Aug 2010
- 2010 FiberARTS Magazine, Sept/Oct 2010, illus. p. 2
- 2009 The New York Times, “Get Out: Weaving Art With Craft”, Larry Dell, November 5, 2009 (http://maplewood.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/05/get-out-weaving-art-with-craft/)
- 2009 Bad At Sports, “Not Another Recession Show” by Lauren Vallone, June 25, 2009http://badatsports.com/2009/not-another-recession-show-chat-with-rachel-kalom/
- 2008 Student Showcase, FiberARTS Magazine, Nov/Dec 2008, illus. p. 47
- One of 12 artists selected by Fiberarts Magazine, from an international pool of undergraduate and graduate candidates, to represent the most important student work being made in the field of fiber. Schools from across the USA were represented as well as Canada, Australia, and Sweden.
- Fiber Art International Excellence In Needlework Award, “Everyday”, Cash Award, 2009
- The Illinois State Committee of the National Museum of Women in the Arts – Cash Award, 2007
- Northern Illinois University – full tuition waiver and graduate assistantship in fibers, 2005 – 2009
- Midway Village, Rockford, IL – Second Place, Original Quilt Design, 1987
- State News E. Lansing MI – Award Winner for Kabuki Media, 1981
- Surface Design Association, College Art Association, Foundations in Art: Theory and Education (FATE)
- Fabric Dyeing, Embroidery, Batik, Painting, Beading, Quilting, Weaving, Knitting, Crochet, Lampworking, Glass Fusing, Wire-wrapping, Precious Metal Clay